We lost a very good friend this past week - Artist William Boddy passed away in his Art Studio in Salida Colorado
Here are our notes as we reflect:
Donna & I learned some invaluable lessons...we spent a lot of time with William in recent years...in the last 1½ yrs, William was our key person in opening and closing 7 Retail Stores. These 3 day project packed days stretch a person to the limits....we are forever grateful and thankful for his investing in us!
- Empathy...he related to people...willing to invest in helping people thru challenges in life
- Sharing...he did not harbor knowledge or skills...tools, paint brush, methods, short cuts
- Fun loving & Free spirited...creative, fun, embraced challenges with a keen awareness...yet with a calm and lack of stress or frustration.
- Hard worker...he knew what opening a store meant...he'd show up early morning with tools and a bedroll...we worked long days to open in short order...often sleeping in the back of the store or a friend's house.
- Problem solver...retrofitting, repairs, negotiating gov’t regulations...as I would go into meetings he was on standby as a lifeline by phone...my most recent meeting @ the design review board I dressed in my paint clothes and carried in a bucket of paint...William laughed
- Tough as nails...But always there...a shoulder to cry on or an ear to let you vent
- Stop & Smell the Roses....he Loved a treat now and again...carrot juice, cashews, a scoop of ice-cream...a 5 minute pull over or break to look up, enjoy a sunset, admire a snow slide, study a mountain ridge...
- He understood people....he Understood me...an Entrepreneur, a dreamer, hard worker...William could relate to many types of people and personalities
- Patient...taught as he worked, or as he painted, little 6 yr old Pablo learning the meaning of "Rustic"...as we retrofitted old barn wood and pallets into the stores and signs
- Honorable...the Beaver Creek Sign was made too big – he on his own time drove to up to the shop and cut the sign down to the correct size - that was above and beyond the expectation!
- Peacemaker, Moderator, Connector, Unifer....often William was involved in decisions between Donna and I – being the 3rd wheel during stressful 3 day store openings can be difficult....but all was always resolved and with best outcome possible
- Willing to help...William called me 1 night as I was driving back from Denver with a large shipment...he genuinely asked "How's your day?" I said crappy...as I just broke down...without hesitation..."well I'll bring my truck and come get you"....he did....he and a police officer helped transfer the boxes into his truck....as we pulled into Salida....we realized his gas gauge was on empty...we coasted into the gas station on fumes w/ smiles on our faces...
William...we will miss you....we cherish the moments we had...and look forward to meeting you in Heaven!
Rob & Donna Prescott - owners, designers & shopkeepers
Front Page of the Mountain Mail: http://m.themountainmail.com/mobile/free_content/article_c308ec1e-5579-11e5-97ea-27f651a7411f.html
This photo is on the front page of our local paper the Mt Mail.
Interesting - William is wearing one of Donna's designs - the elf hat...
The image behind him is one of Williams paintings - it hangs in our Cowboys & Daisies store in Breckenridge.